This house dates to 1840 and was donated to the Village by a local dentist. It was located on St. John Street near downtown Lafayette, hence its name. It is built of salvaged cypress timbers from another building.
The house is currently being displayed as a schoolhouse. Among the desks is a three-seater which came to the Village from an old schoolhouse in Sunset, Louisiana. Old books, inkwells, lunch pails, and a wooden stove round out the exhibit.